- Introducing Seth Weissman, Executive Coach at Weissman Coaching and Consulting, former chief legal officer at Marqueta, and former EVP and GC at SolarCity.
Letting unconventional thinking guide your career: 2:27
- Knowing you want to pursue a career in law as early as childhood.
- Starting off as a trial lawyer at 24, then realizing it wasn’t for you.
- Re-establishing yourself in Silicon Valley to dive into a burgeoning internet industry.
- Approaching your legal role like a business person to establish your capabilities.
Working in SolarCity’s mission-driven environment to commercialize solar energy: 7:20
- Knowing that the key skill of a GC is to be comfortable with discomfort.
- Pioneering a business in a new field without the opportunity to receive guidance.
- Realizing the importance of mentoring and being mentored.
- Navigating the transition from co-workers to mentorship through mutual respect.
Releasing IPO and selling to Tesla: 13:38
- Relying on a strong and trustworthy team.
- Driving the track in front of you, looking where you’re going and ignoring the walls.
Working with Elon Musk at SolarCity: 18:06
- Benefitting from his brand to recruit top talent.
- Considering Musk’s advice about the internet, truth, and consistency.
- Treating your online customers the same way you treat your direct customers.
Turning a legal team of 4 into a division of 50 at Marqeta: 22:10
- Developing a Fintech powerhouse in a work-from-home environment with COVID in the backdrop.
- Relying on trust and vulnerability to solidify working relationships.
- Succeeding as a leader by embracing the power of your team.
- Reinforcing team structures to avoid turf wars and crossed wires.
Finding inspiration to become an executive coach: 31:12
- Asking for help when you aren’t sure how to approach a high-growth environment.
- Taking a two-and-a-half year sabbatical to return to school and become an accredited executive coach.
- Explaining basic principles of executive coaching.
- Drawing a line between coaching and therapy.
Finding an executive coach and justifying the expense: 43:35
- Using your network to find the right coach for you.
- Investing in emotional intelligence.
- Dealing with your inner saboteur.
Final questions: 50:20
- Learning to be present and intentional at high performance racing events.
- Recommending books to understand emotional intelligence and build great teams.
- Advice to your younger self.