Introduction and Adam Glick’s journey: 00:00
- Adam’s journey as a legal professional and his experience working in various companies.
- Taking unconventional paths to becoming a General Counsel.
- Transitioning from litigation to in-house law in the tech industry.
Advice for breaking into tech as a junior legal counsel: 04:47
- The competitive nature of finding your first legal job in the tech industry.
- Not taking rejection personally and persevering during the job search.
- Being creative and looking at opportunities that may not be a perfect fit but can get your foot in the door.
Networking as a force multiplier in your legal career: 07:03
- The importance of networking authentically, genuinely showing interest in others' successes and challenges.
- Setting up face-to-face interactions to cultivate better understanding and relationships.
- Giving back and thinking of networking as a two-way street.
- How networking can lead to unexpected opportunities and connections that can change one's career or life trajectory.
The importance of mentorship in advancing your legal career:12:29
- Finding mentors who can offer support and valuable insights into your current challenges as well as become a sounding board.
- The importance of being open, vulnerable, and honest with mentors.
- Building meaningful relationships that can enhance career growth and development.
- Getting mentorship from peers and cross-functional leaders.
Transitioning into a head of legal role and building a legal team at Intercom: 18:53
- The importance of acknowledging and celebrating personal achievements.
- Transitioning into managerial roles, and gaining exposure to different legal areas.
- Key qualities for successfully building a legal function from scratch include confidence in one's abilities, a mindset of educating the company and building partnerships, establishing trust with clients, and hiring and enabling talented legal professionals to flourish in their roles.
Advice for lawyers aiming for a legal leadership role: 23:30
- Gaining significant commercial experience and exposure to various areas of the law to prepare for legal leadership roles.
- Embracing opportunities to learn and expand your skill set as a generalist.
Customer-centricity and relationship building: 27:02
- Why being customer-centric is crucial for a GC.
- Building and managing relationships with customers and their counsel.
- Aligning with internal clients, particularly the sales team, and building relationships around customer success.
- Considering the varying needs and risk tolerance of different customers.
Strategies for building a high-performing legal team in a growing business: 33:26
- Following a 30-60-90 day plan in a new legal role.
- Understanding the business and its goals, and building relationships.
- Tailoring hires around specific needs (transactional, product, regulatory, etc.).
- Considering geographical factors and making efficient decisions to avoid slowing down business growth.
How to find the right legal talent: 38:21
- Hiring individuals who possess subject matter expertise or the ability to learn quickly.
- Finding candidates who are problem solvers and demonstrate high emotional intelligence (EQ).
Navigating the job market and finding your next role: 43:20
- Taking time off to decompress and engage in activities outside of work.
- Defining what you want in your next role and being able to articulate your motivations.
- Leveraging your network, engaging in networking activities, and having conversations to explore opportunities.